Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Runner's Heights: Ode to Mama Lade

Cumulative mileage: 124 miles...right on!

The shin splints are back and with a vengeance...After a 5 mile, both the legs are throbbing like two V-8 engines on high-octane gasoline. But this race car is not meant to stop, baby. I am going to cool it with some ice and then keep going every alternate day. It helps to have a rest day in between runs -- gives the shins some time to chill and heal. But, as I writing this, I realize that it might be the cooler weather. So, tomorrow, I am going to try running in track pants and see if it makes a difference.

I love marmalade, not just because I love sweets and oranges, but because marmalade is a metaphor for life -- bitter and sweet, messy and clear, grainy with the rinds and smooth due to the pulp. Marmalade is the anima/animus and ying/yang and I seem to have a predilection for British marmalades. I tried marmalade made out of kiwi fruit (why even call it marmalade?) but it was not the same. A kiwi fruit may be a chock-full of Vitamin C, but it still does not have the sensory variety of an orange -- bitter, sweet, sour, and pungent. To marmalade, to life.

No comments: