Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Runner's Heights: Cain He Be the Human Fantasy?

Cumulative miles: 3.56
Commenced street running after a hiatus of nearly 2 years. The shoe that made the difference again was the Saucony ProGrid Stabil 6. My left foot is pretty much flat as a pancake and of late, I have had a minor irritation in the plantar fascia. So, you can understand my concern as I hit the pavement this afternoon. I made a 3.56 mile walk-run, trying to stay injury free. As they say, "if you live today, you fight another day."

The book, Revolution in the Valley, by Andy Hertzfeld, has quote from Alan Kay that I am paraphrasing -- humans need fantasy to formulate simple explanations for complex things in our lives. The best example of this, in my opinion, is religious faith. How simple it is for Herman Cain to say that God told him to run for President. It's a recurring motif -- God speaking to Muhammad, Jesus, Moses and who knows whom telling that individual that "he" is the Chosen One. So, if God told each prophet that "he" is the Saviour of our race, then is God using a universal doctrine of "divide and rule?" And, so the fantasy goes on as Herman Cain and Rick Perry, each with decrees from God, decimate each other in the public sphere with their vitriol. In the end, for the supporters of Cain and Perry, the simple answer to the complicated question, "Why do you want to be President?" is rather straightforward - "because God told me to be President!"

No comments: