Monday, August 13, 2007

Runner's Heights:Take that Old Time Falafel

When you are on antibiotics, you have to be extra careful not to catch a cramp or a muscular spasms while running. The Rite-Aid disclaimer that I got with my antibiotics warned me about the possibility of cramps but I decided to take a chance anyway. At Mile 2, I felt my soleus muscle tighten and by Mile 3, I could run no more. The only recourse was to walk back to where I started. I think the walking actually helped to keep the circulation going...stopping or pausing to rest might have made matters worse. Although I still cannot fathom the relation between antibiotics and spasms, I did experience the consequence. Nevertheless, if you stop in time, the muscles heal in a day or two. That's the good news. The bad news is that you still have to carry out the rest of your dosage of antibiotics and run with a fair degree of circumspection.

One of the towering figures in our work sphere passed away recently into another dimension. He is Keith Hunter and he excelled in the creative arts, sports, writing, management of his peers, and nearly everything that he stepped into. Such was the verve of this individual and sheer determination of his purpose. You observe him with respect and regard in this life and then when he leaves to continue a greater journey, you reflect with awe on the scale of achievements and accomplishment of a single individual. Talk about raising the bar for those around him.

http://hunterfamily.blogdns.org/

L.A. Restaurants on a Shoe-String Budget recommendation of the day:

Falafel King
Neighborhood: Westwood
1059 Broxton Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90024
(310) 208-4444
$

I have been going to the Westwood location since it used to be a tiny shack on Weyburn Ave. in Westwood. About a decade or more ago, it moved to its current location on Broxton Ave. and it seems it has lost its raging patronage to its neighboring upscale eateries. I still love the shawerma, the falafels, and the sides of babaghanoush and potato fries. Although I used to drink a bottle of dooh (yoghurt with dill drink) with my plate of falafels, now I just settle for a Ginseng ginger ale to tame the spices and the hot sauces that you scoop into little plastic bowls. There are probably better falafels available in LA somewhere but Falafel King is a big plate of nostalgia for me and I think I'll be there soon to dip a sizzling falafel into some tahini again.

Park in the building across from Falafel King on Broxton.

No comments: