Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Runner's Heights: Handle This Bar

Cumulative mileage: 68 miles and counting!

As I was running my five-miler yesterday, I occasionally floundered and had doubts if I was going to finish the run. But thank goodness my Sony Walkman radio kept going and I heard about Tim Borland and his 63 marathons in 63 days. Borland is only 31 and I can't help compare him to Tiger Woods. If Woods has several more Masters trophies left in him, Borland must have scores of marathons waiting to be added to his list of running accomplishments. And I am grateful that he inspired me for those few minutes when I felt like I was going to fail. Listening to his words on NPR were the few drops of inspiration and encouragement that I needed to finish my bout of running. Thanks, Tim. As for me, I hope I run a few marathons by the time I am 63, if I get that far.

For the cross-training component of my workouts, I have been primarily leaning on biking. I also realized that when you are biking for long stretches, one of the key things is to be able to assume different grip positions on the handlebars to ease the stress on your back. Since I write a modified-mountain bike, the frame geometry is predisposed towards a more upright stance, which is inefficient for faster, road riding. Besides, the straight handlebars provide very little variety in grip positions. For such a handlebar, the handlebar extensions seem like a nice option, but I haven't found one that I can just use on my existing handlebar. I will report on such a product as soon as I find and use one.

Quote of the day found on stephentrepreneur...
Ralph Waldo Emerson:

"Little minds have little worries, big minds have no time for worries."

No comments: