Saturday, November 10, 2007

Runner's Heights: The Run of Jesuit Discipline

Cumulative mileage: 72 miles...woohoo!

That used to be my lucky number and year. I was in 3rd Standard at St. Xavier's and the year that I think that I developed a knack for running. How did I really get into running? It's an interesting story and the foundation of a lifetime of recreation and leisure for me. Actually, it didn't all start out that way. I went to a strict, Jesuit school and for the smallest of infractions, you were disciplined without recourse. So, for example, if you were caught having a conversation with a fellow student in class, you were punished. And I talked a lot in class, not because I wanted to be punished, but because, I think, I had Attention Deficit Disorder and a compelling need to poke fun at some of the most imperious and vainglorious teachers that stepped into our classroom. Needless to say, some of those teachers hated me and so saw no particular need to keep me as a disruptive elements in their classrooms. So, I was either sent to kneel down outside the class so that the Principal would see me punished during his sombre rounds or I was sent out to run across the great big soccer and field hockey field. I had to circle the fields numerous times and on hot summer days, that would mean I'd be drenched in sweat. And you had to run in your school-uniform shoes, which were probably Bata Wayfinder, a cool shoe in those days with a compass under your heels. Or it could have been the Bata Naughty Boy, a shoe that had a hard layer of leather around the toe -- not quite a steel toe but just as tough. Neither shoe was quite the quintessential running shoe. I got used to it though and a couple of years later, when the tryouts for the school athletics came, running was a piece of cake. And I was always ran barefeet which probably explains why I have a flatter toe. So, there's the Jesuit school to running connection -- who'd have imagined!

I recently acquired my first Casio G-shock watch. I always thought that the G-shock moniker was a marketing gimmick and I guess, I finally caved in after the glowing reviews of the G-shock watch on Amazon.com. I wanted to get a watch that I could wear through all my sporting activities that also had a stop watch and was reasonable. The entry-level G-shock fitted the bill. It is simple watch with buttons that are well labelled and a set up that's fairly simple. The digital readout is fairly clean and clear and you can turn off the light function for a variety of modes which is bound to prolong battery life. I paid $45 for it and you might find a cheaper deal if you look around. All in all, a minimalist watch that's neither too heavy or garish. I could say that if it took a licking and kept on ticking for the next three years, I'd consider my money well spent.

Here's a pic:

No comments: