Saturday, November 03, 2007

Runner's Heights: Requiem to the Necktie

Cumulate mileage: 63 miles
Onward to a 100 miles, only 27 miles to go. Like I mentioned before, I wish I had kept a log from earlier on this year which would have tipped me over a 100 by this time of the year. Anyway, better late than never and if I can get to a strong 100 by the end of this year, I'll be thrilled. The runs are getting easier because the weather is cooler and drier and therefore I am less prone to feelings of fatigue. But perhaps, one of the most important things to learn while running is learn how to concentrate and work on ideas and matters that are really important in self-growth and development. Due to my mediocre physical condition, I was often focused on my physical endurance and breath in order to finish the run. But, I think, as my endurance catches up with my intentions, I'll be able to free myself up to think of more important things than just surviving a run.

I was thinking, it has been almost 15 years since I last had a job where I had to wear a necktie. Now, everything that I usually wear has a purpose -- a shirt, shoes, a watch, jeans, socks, and a belt. But who invented the necktie and what is its function? It gets in the way of your food, it often gives you a choking sensation, and you have spend about 2 mins. every work day of your life getting it straightened out and tied. What a waste! Is it part of our fashion religion that we are so used to seeing it around us that we don't question it anymore. A scarf at least keeps a person warm but a necktie would fail at even that measly purpose. Why do we still feature it in our professional lives? Why do we end up paying upto $50 for an article that is as vestigeal as the human tailbone. Why, why?

So, for that I propose, a world "Strictly No Neckties Today", Day. The only groups who could claim exception are double agents, spies, and folks in espionage. Like this gentleman here...

No comments: