Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Runner's Heights: Mr.Guest, Some Barbs for You...

Cumulative Mileage: 13 miles

So, it had a to be a walk run because "them-old" soleus muscles acted up again. So, I was forced to do a run walk but I have gotten used to run-walks by now. There is no shame, no embarrassment or losing-face in run-walks. I have learned to add them to my repertory of physical activity because they help to increase your mileage. And I am trying to increase my mileage -- that is my ultimate goal. When I increase that mileage to 26 miles, I will rest easy on that achievement and then deign to think about speed and number of laps, etc. etc. And I think that one of the ways to mentally prepare for more mileage is adding a variety of surfaces to your run -- from grass, asphalt, and gravel to concrete pavements.

The buzz of about the Iranian President, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, continues in the press these days. Among the insinuations, vilifications, encomiums, and invectives being traded, Columbia President Lee Bollinger's oratorial disposition does stand out as strange and unprecedented. I have been a member of the public speaking organization, Toastmasters International, and one of the skills that you learn as a Toastmaster is to introduce a speaker to an audience. It is widely believed that if you invite a speaker to speak at your forum, you try to portray the speaker in the best light possible which is a way of saying to the audience that this speaker's words is worth the time that the audience is devoting in listening to the speaker. Why Bollinger would choose to insult an invited guest by calling him "a petty and cruel dictator" is worth investigating. In maligning an invited speaker, Bollinger failed to get his facts right by calling Ahmadinejad, a "dictator". Even though the nominees on the ballot are cherry-picked by theocrats the election of Ahmadinejad is still a quasi-democratic process and he is not a dictator. He may walk of the talk of an bigot and a fascist but he is an elected official.

No comments: