Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Runner's Heights: Much Ado about Pens

As dusk creeps in sooner in this hemisphere, so are the evening bugs of all shapes and sizes. Most are harmless but annoying, nonetheless. And I am talking about the ones that get in your eyes and mouth while you are running. You could breathe through your nose and keep your mouth closed -- that's not hard to manage -- but it's certainly hard to keep your eyes shut. So, the solution that I came up with, since I don't wear glasses, is wearing clear glasses. Now, if you need to get a pair of clear glasses, get a pair that are anti-fog so that the warm mist from your breath doesn't cloud your vision. Also, my recommendation would be to get the glasses from a hardware store where they carry brands such as, Dewalt. I don't think that you need to get a super-expensive Nike or Oakley glasses -- just a decent polycarbonate lens would suffice. Now, it would be nice to have wiper on your glasses in case in you're running at 10 mph and a bug does splat on your lens.

I recently acquired a Waterman Philaes fountain pen and I must admit that it is one of best fountain pens that I have written with. Of course, I have never used any of the high end pens like Monte Blanc or Pelikan but I have used fountain pens of garden variety all though my school years. The Philaes pen has a very retro look representing a cigar and it has a very easy feel to it. The nib is smooth and point glides over effortlessly over the paper. I am using it with the Mont Blanc self-cleaning ink and it seems to be a very rewarding experience. I am almost tempted to get another one because whenever I like a product, I have a tendency to buy another one of the same. I was thinking, if this a pen in the lower end of the Waterman line, how the writing experience of a high-end Waterman pen would be. Here's a picture of the pen that I am currently using.

No comments: