Saturday, October 20, 2007

Runner's Heights: Blog the Knog Frog

Cumulative mileage: 40 miles

That whopping surge in the cumulative mileage is certainly deceiving because it was not attained in one try. It took three spells of running to notch up 10 more miles. But seven of those ten were achieved in consecutive days -- a first since 2005 when I was leg-injury free for most part. Runs are getting easier because it's much cooler in the evenings but it's a tradeoff -- you have to run in the darkness as the dusk sets in sooner these days. And when you are running on embankments or off-road, you have to watch out for potholes, steep run-offs and dips to avoid twisting your ankle or spraining your calves. So, if you have a 9-6 work routine, a possible solution would be to switch to running around lunch or before work. The latter is probably not an option for me since I was never an early riser.

Since I find myself biking well into the evening and I share the bike path with pedestrians, I felt it might be safer for both parties if I outfitted my bike with some lights. I recently acquired a used Gary Fisher Hoo Kee E Koo with street tires and love riding it out to the sunset and the cool ocean breeze. I can go faster because of the street tires and the thinner Mavic rims but that means I closer to a pedestrian than they think. The salesman at Wheelworks in Culver City convinced me to buy the Knog Frog which an LED light wrapped in a silicone straps that allows you to attach the Frog to your helmet or any round tubing (handle bar, seatpost, etc.). I have to admit that I was skeptical when I bought it and I am still not convinced that it has ample lighting power. But it is lightweight, easily attachable, fairly inxepensive and comes is three llight colors -- white, red, and blue. When you put it in flashing mode, it can announce your presence more effectively. However, as headlight to illuminate the path ahead, it is woefully inadequate because it has a tiny illumination radius and is practically useless when you are cycling relatively fast (15 mph or faster). So, the verdict is that it might a light accessory to a main lighting device on your bike.

More at Knog's website...not the most user-friendly website...

Here's a picture of some Knog Frogs:

No comments: