Sunday, October 21, 2007

Runner's Heights: Double Time for Super Scoopers

Cumulative mileage: 43 miles

It is amazing how much yoga, stretching, and hydration can impact your running experience. I haven't been doing yoga for the last three days and I forgot to drink my daily dose of water on this especially dry and hot day and I felt that every mile was about to bring me down to my knees. In fact, there were times that I had to switch to a run-walk mode because I was afraid of pulling a muscle or spraining my calves. Throughout the 30 min. short run, the calves remained tight and adamantly high-strung -- uptight twits.

There were at least nine fires in Southern California today and they coincided with an unusually hot and dry day. Most news reports ascribed the weather to the Santa Ana winds -- those legendary winds that always make their presence felt at this time of the year with a brush fire or two. As you drove down from downtown Los Angeles on 10 West towards the Pacific Coast you could see all the Amber Alerts screaming, "All Lanes to PCH Closed" and no sooner than you made the turn towards the coast beyond Overland Ave, you could see the bales of white smoke smother the skies. The super scoopers, the helicopters, and the fire fighters are all there and it's going to be a long and exhausting day for those trying to douse the fire and get it out of harm's way. It must be the time of the year in Southern California when narry a fire fighter can take a vacation.

No comments: