Friday, October 12, 2007

Runner's Heights: Noble Enough for Nobel

More cross-training du jour. I have recently acquired a used Gary Fisher and decided to take it out for a spin across the Playa del Rey. Since the dusk is inching in closer to the rest of the afternoon, I got started at 5:45 pm from the Playa area and made it to the beach by 6 pm...The Gary Fisher, although being a mountain bike, has street tires and that made it fairly easy to pedal upwind into the ocean breeze. I must have clocked an average of 12 mph going by my Navman GPS device which seems to be pretty accurate and consistent. I always wonder which satellite -- or big brother -- it is looking up to get its position. So armed with my cell phone, my Navman and Walkman, I feel like I am harnessed to all the technology that I can possibly cope with. If I could fast forward about 20 years, maybe I'd add a pacemaker, hearing aid and some nanocapsule embedded in my skin to the list. The latter would be for all my creditors to know where I am at all times.

As I was reading the swarm of news media covering Al Gore's Nobel win, I realized that Gandhi had never received a Nobel prize for peace. A man of Gandhi's stature and calibre should have been awarded the Nobel posthumously although I am not sure that the award has a provision for that. And as one of my colleagues pointed out, since the Nobel committee does not discriminate against group awards, it would be great if the Burmese monks could have won the prize and the monetary award that goes with it. They could have certainly use the fame and the fortune to push their agenda and pressure the military junta into relenting. And come to think, they ought to institute a Nobel prize for humour and my first nomination would go to Robin Williams. But if posthumous awards are allowed, then it would be a tough call between Chaplin, Keaton, and Lloyd, the doyens of silent comedy.

No comments: